Tofu Egg Fried Rice, a No-Rice recipe
Keep sharing my recipes in my low GI and low carb diet.
Cauliflower are trendy for replacing rice in healthy diet. However, I prefer tofu for it’s high in protein and iron and low in calories. And as a Chinese, tofu is among my favourite food, no matter what types or what forms they are. When I want to have it as ‘rice’, sometimes I would mix it with brown rice, or quinoa. My version of no-rice egg fried rice can be served as a simple meal, or can be a side, served with more green leafy vegetable, beef, chicken or salmon.
Tofu in this recipe
Tofu was originated from China during the Han Dynasty about 2000 years ago and has been widely produced and consumed worldwide since then. There are a large variety of tofu and tofu products in the market. Silky tofu and firm tofu are commonly seen. There are also fried tofu, tofu puff, dried tofu sheet, sweet silky tofu, fermented tofu, black soybean tofu, and many more. Do explore your local Asian grocery stores or Asian community, you would have a lot more choices in your healthy diet.
For making rice-alike tofu flakes, I would suggest using pressed firm tofu. Usually such type of tofu is produced with lushui (鹵水), or chloride type Nigari salt. This tofu has a firm and rough surface that retains the pattern of the muslin and a moist and firm spongy inside. The liquid from the tofu can be easily squeezed out. And it can become powdery tofu flakes after being stir-fried in hot wok. I also use this type of tofu to make tofu pancake for breakfast.
Check my other pressed tofu recipes –
Cheesy Tofu and Kimchi Pancake
Cantonese Home-style Braised Tofu Casserole
How to make tofu ‘rice-alike’
- Wrap the tofu in a clean cotton kitchen towel, squeeze out liquid as much as possible;
- Stir-fry the tofu lumps in medium-high heat in a wok or a large skillet till it’s dry, fluffy and lightly golden, break the tofu lumps with frying spatula;
- It can be kept in fridge for 2-3 days but better not any longer, tofu can easily go bad.
Egg Fried Rice
The most basic ingredients of egg fried rice are simply egg and overnight steamed white long grain rice. You could scramble the beaten egg then mix it with fried rice; or rice is stir-fried firstly, then pour the beaten egg on, let the rice coated with egg; some would even soak steamed rice in beaten egg overnight. However for me, there have to be some greens with fried rice, a generous handful of chopped green onion would do. As a typical Cantonese, dried mini shrimp, dried shiitake mushroom and Cantonese sausage are my kitchen essential. Thus I would add some of them on. But fried rice is a real friendly dish that can fit most leftover vegetable, meat or seafood, such as ham, sausage, roast chicken, frozen shrimp or scallop, onion, carrot, peas, sweetcorn, etc.
Check my other fried rice recipe (with real rice) –
Super quick veggie fried rice, Tips of making Chinese fried rice
Pineapple and Chicken Fried Mixed Grains Rice
Ingredients – one serving for a meal, or two serving for side
- Firm tofu, one piece, about 400g. Try to obtain Lushui tofu, or Nigari tofu
- Egg, 1, in large size
- Mini dried shrimp, 1tbsp, optional, use dried shiitake mushroom or other types of mushroom with deeper fragrant for replacement
- White onion, half
- Green onion, a bunch
Seasoning ingredients –
- Light soy sauce, 1tbsp
- Oyster sauce, 1/2tbsp, or vegetarian oyster sauce
- Salt, a nip
- Toasted sesame seeds, a pinch
- Sesame oil, 1tsp
(Try other sauces, such as ketchup, Sriracha hot sauce, or even mayonnaise)
How to do –
- Wrap the tofu in a clean cotton kitchen towel, squeeze out liquid; egg beaten, seasoned with a nip of salt; mini shrimps soaked in water for a few minutes; onion and green onion finely chopped;
2. Heat 2tbsp of olive oil in hot wok or large skillet, in medium-high heat, stir-fry the tofu till it’s dry, fluffy and lightly golden, break the tofu lumps with frying spatula; season the tofu flakes with a nip of salt; remove from the skillet;
3. Add 1tbsp of oil in the skillet, stir-fry onion and dried shrimps till fragrant; put the tofu flakes in, flip the skillet and mix the ingredients well;
4. Push the tofu flakes aside, pour in the egg and scramble it, then flip the skillet and mix all well; season with 1tbsp of light soy sauce and 1/2tbsp of oyster sauce;
5. Sprinkle the green onion on, in high heat, flip the skillet and stir well. Serve hot right away, better with a pinch of toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil on top.
- 老豆腐 一块，约400克
- 鸡蛋 1个
- 虾米 1汤匙
- 洋葱 半个
- 葱 一把
- 生抽 1汤匙
- 蚝油 1/2汤匙
- 盐 适量
- 熟芝麻 适量
- 麻油 适量
- 把豆腐末盛开，再放油，把虾米和洋葱炒香, 豆腐末回锅，翻炒均匀；