Tomato and Mackerel Curry, and instant curry recipe
When I have a busy day or don’t know what to cook for dinner, there are some quick and easy dishes I would prepare, Cantonese chicken casserole, Chinese sausage clay pot rice, and curry. Though sometimes I would make curry with herbs and spices, I rely on curry sauce or curry cube more often. In this curry fish recipe, I use curry sauce from local brand. By comparison with usual Japanese curry cubes, curry sauce of local brands in Hong Kong tastes spicier. I think it is more suitable to cook with mackerel or similar fish that has fishy and rich flavour.
Read my other recipe with the same curry sauce – Stir-fried Curry Chinese Vermicelli with Ground Pork;
Read my other instant curry recipe – Instant Japanese Beef Meatball Curry Rice.
Ingredients – for 2 serving
- Mackerel, 2, regular size;
- Tomato, 2, large size
- White onion, 1, medium size
- Canned chickpeas, 1/2 cup
- Curry sauce, 2tbsp
- Chicken broth, 200ml
- Cornstarch, 2tbsp
- Chinese cooking wine, 2tbsp, or any rice wine
- Salt and pepper
How to do –
1. Mackerel filleted, you could do it by yourself or ask fishmonger for help, or simply obtain mackerel fillet; I sometimes remove the very obvious big bones with tweezers but actually mackerel bones are soft and easy to be chewed; cut into big chunks; sprinkle 2tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, a nip of salt and pepper to season;
2. Onion finely sliced; tomato peeled and chopped into big cubes;
3. Heat 2tbsp of olive oil on pan; dust a thin layer of cornstarch on both sides of the fish chunks; pan-fry in medium high heat till golden;
4. In another pan or casserole, heat some olive oil, stir-fry the onion in medium high heat till carameled, removed from the pan; in the same pan, heat some olive oil again, stir-fry the tomato till amount reduced and colour deeper and richer; be patient, this step can concentrate most flavour from the onion and tomato;
5. Onion, chickpea, chicken broth, and 2tbsp of curry sauce on pan, mix well, bring to boil; put in the fried mackerel, lid on and simmer for 10 minutes in medium heat; have a taste and you might adjust with a little more salt and sugar;
6. Served with steamed rice.
- 鲭鱼 2条，中型
- 番茄 2个，大
- 洋葱 1个，中
- 罐头水煮鹰嘴豆 半量杯
- 咖喱酱 2汤匙
- 鸡汤 200毫升
- 料酒 2汤匙
One thought on "番茄鯖魚咖哩 : Tomato and Mackerel Curry, and instant curry recipe"