Healthy Coconut Black Rice Pudding
A healthy treat in the afternoon, yes, I made black rice pudding again. I have some organic black rice in fine quality and in summer, there has to be a big box of black rice pudding in fridge for a lazy morning or a hot afternoon.
Black rice is consider healthy food in recent years but Cantonese have been using it for tong-sui for ages. Eating it may offer several health benefits – It is the highest in antioxidant activity and contains more protein than other types of rice; It can help to boost eye and heart health, protect against certain forms of cancer, and aid weight loss; It has less carbs and more fiber and protein.
It’s so easy to prepare – soak in water overnight and simmer for half another, sweeten with sugar. I can have it every morning for breakfast or for a late night treat. Just to serve it with fresh mango, nuts, vanilla icecream or Chinese herbal jelly.
Read my recent recipe of black rice – Red Bean and Black Rice Pudding
Ingredients – for 10 serving
- Black rice, a cup, about 180g
- Coconut milk, 400ml
- Raw slab sugar, 80g, or any sugar or sweetener
- Water, 1L
- Shredded coconut
- Toasted almond or almond flakes
How to do –
1. Soak the rice in 3cups of water overnight or for a few hours. That would make the rice cooked to perfection easily;
2. Drain and put them in a soup pot together with 1L of water, lid on, bring to boil then simmer in low heat for half an hour till the rice turns soft and melted, and the congee is thick and silky;
3. Sweeten the congee with slab sugar, heat off and keep the lid on. Let the sugar melt. You may have taste and adjust with more sugar. I don’t fancy food too sweet;
4. Put in 400ml of coconut milk, stir well. Transfer the congee into food box and chill in fridge. It may look a little watery when warm but it would be pudding-alike when chilled;
5. Simply garnish with shredded coconut and roughly chopped toasted almond.
- 黑米 1量杯，约180克
- 椰浆 400毫升
- 片糖 5块，约80克
- 水 1000毫升
- 椰丝 适量
- 杏仁 适量