Red Bean and Black Rice Pudding
I soaked some red beans and black rice last night before bed and made black rice pudding this morning. Black rice tong-sui (Cantonese dessert soup) is one of my favourite dessert. Usually in Winter, I would like to add more water to make it more like congee. In summertime, I prefer it thick and creamy, chill in fridge, take whenever I want, and serve with coconut milk, mango, sago, or coconut icecream.
Black rice is consider healthy food in recent years but Cantonese have been using it for tong-sui for ages. Eating it may offer several health benefits – It is the highest in antioxidant activity and contains more protein than other types of rice; It can help to boost eye and heart health, protect against certain forms of cancer, and aid weight loss; It has less carbs and more fiber and protein.
In this recipe, I also add some red beans. Red bean dessert soup is considered the most popular tong-sui. Cantonese like to add chenpi (sun-dried tangerine peel) in this classic dessert. This particular ingredient is widely used in Chinese cooking and herbal medicine, such as in braised pork or any other fat meat, and Cantonese like to add a piece in making soup or sweet soup.‘Chen’ means aged. The longer Chenpi is aged, the better the quality. I know Chenpi well because my hometown, Xinhui in Canton province, is where famous for producing the best Chenpi. Chenpi is made of a particular type of tangerine in Xinhui. The other important factor is its production technique. In general, it’s a procedure of pith removing, sun-drying, steaming, and repeating it again and again. When weather is dry and sunny, grandma would take the stored chenpi, steam them till soft enough to remove the white pith on the peel, sun-dry, then store in cool and dry cupboard. She would repeat this process again and again when the weather is suitable, till all pith removed and the peel is very thin, dry, dark and crispy. Read my recipe of Steamed Chenpi Beef Meatball.
Ingredients – all ingredients can be easily obtained in most Asian grocery stores
- Red beans, 150g
- Black rice, 150g
- Chenpi, 5g
- Raw slab sugar, 1, about 80g, or any sugar
- Water, 1200ml
- Coconut milk, 200ml
How to do –
1. Read bean and black rice washed than soaked in water overnight. They would expand twice as their original quantity;
2. In a soup pot, put in rice, red beans, chenpi, and 1200ml of water, lid on, bring to boil then simmer in low heat till beans and rice soft and thick;
3. Sweeten with 1 slab sugar, then turn off the heat, let the sugar melt, mix well. make sure you sweet the congee at last otherwise it would turn sour. I don’t like it too sweet but you could add a little more sugar if you are a sweet tooth. The pudding would be less sweet when cool;
4. It can be serve warm. I would prefer it chilled and serve with coconut milk and mango.
- 红豆 150克
- 黑米 150克
- 陈皮 5克
- 片糖 1块，约80克
- 水 1200毫升
- 椰浆 1罐
2 thoughts on "椰汁紅豆黑米糖水 : Red Bean and Black Rice Pudding"