Healthy Savoury Cabbage Pancake
Since I started my low GI diet half a year ago, I have hardly prepared sweet pancakes for breakfast. In such diet, one is suggested not to consume too much sugar and carbohydrate. I am in blood sugar control and weight control so low GI diet and fasting are effective to me.
Instead, I make savoury vegetable pancakes, such as Chinese zucchini pancake. Besides, cabbage is one of the usual ingredients for my breakfast, say, Korean cabbage sandwich, a healthy version. I also put cabbage in pancake. Usually in those types of savoury pancakes with cabbage, raw cabbage would be mixed with batter before pan-frying, like Okonomiyaki, a Japanese savoury pancake, which contains cabbage, pork or seafood, sometimes even noodles. However my cabbage pancake is a lot simpler, with loads of cabbage and a few tablespoons of flour. In order to eat more cabbage and less flour, sliced cabbage would be stir-fried before adding to the batter; softened cabbage is easy to be glued together with other ingredients by less flour.
Ingredients for the pancake – for 1 serving
- Cabbage, half, about 350g
- All purpose flour, 4tbsp
- Green onion, a small bunch
- Egg, 1, medium size
- Salt, a nip
Dipping sauce options –
- Minced garlic, 1tsp
- Light soy sauce, 1tsp
- Chinese black vinegar, 1tsp
- Toasted sesame seeds, 1/2tsp
- Chili flakes, 1/2tsp, optional
- Greek yogurt, 2tbsp
- Sour cream, 2tbsp
- Salt and pepper, a nip
- Chive, a nip
How to do –
- Cabbage thinly sliced, stir-fry quickly in high heat for about 1 minute till slightly golden, don’t overcook, turn off the heat;
2. In a big mixing bowl, crack in 1 egg, put in 4tbsp of flour and about 3tbsp of water, mix. The batter should be thick and not very smooth, but don’t worry. Season with a nip of salt; Mix in the cabbage and green onion;
3. Heat 4tbsp of oil in a big skillet, a bit more oil can make crispier edges. In medium heat, put in a ladle of batter mixture for one pancake, and flatten the pancake with spatula. This amount of ingredients can serve 3 to 4 pancakes; pan-fry both sides till golden brown;
4. For the dipping, I usually prefer the Chinese way – minced garlic, soy sauce, black vinegar, toasted sesame seeds chili oil and chili flakes; Sriracha sauce, mayonnaise, and mustard are also nice combination.