Cantonese summer dessert soup – Winter Gourd and Beans Soup
Soup and tongsui (desert soup) are so important in Cantonese food culture. Cantonese believe in consuming food according to the season changes, weather condition and health condition. In a long and humid summer, invigorating spleen function, promoting urination, removing heat and facilitating the drainage of pus are most essential. There are various savoury soup or dessert soup recipes for fulfilling such purposes. This winter gourd and beans soup is the one I make the most. Winter gourd is commonly seen at farmer’s market all year round especially in summertime. Cantonese are so familiar with these beans. They should be easily found in any Chinese grocery stores worldwide. Don’t hesitate to ask sales assistant for help.
I usually make a big pot of such dessert soup and chill in fridge, have it after dinner, for afternoon tea, or fill it in my water bottle, drink whenever I want. Thus I wouldn’t season it with too much sugar, just to add a hint of sweetness. Beans and winter gourd have natural sweetness. With the same ingredients, you could make savoury soup. Season it with salt then you would have vegan soup or cook with pork bones or pork ribs.
Ingredients – for 6 serving
- Winter gourd, 1kg
- Black-eyed pea, 70g
- Job’s tears, or called Chinese pearl barley, 70g
- Ricebean, 70g
- Chen-pi, Chinese sun-dried tangerine peel, 1 piece, optional
- Raw slab sugar, 1 bar
- Water, 1.5L
How to do –
1. Beans washed in running water;
2. Winter gourd washed, cut off the thick peel and seeds, but keep the peel; flesh cut into cubes;
3. Put all ingredients, gourd cubes, peels, beans and chenpi, in a big soup pot, pour in 1.5L of water, lid on and bring to boil in high heat then simmer in medium low heat for at least an hour till beans cooked to tender;
4. Removed the peels and chen-pi; season with sugar but not too much; heat off and let the sugar melt; chilled in fridge.
- 冬瓜 1千克
- 眉豆 70克
- 赤小豆 70克
- 薏米 70克
- 陈皮 1块
- 片糖 1块
- 水 1.5升
One thought on " 冬瓜雜豆糖水 : Cantonese summer dessert soup – Winter Gourd and Beans Soup"