Summer Sour Plum Duck
I make sour plum wine every summer. It’s one of my essential for a half year long summer in Hong Kong. Sour plums are on local market for a very short period in early summer, so I would purchase plenty and make jars of plum wine. The ingredients for this homemade wine are so simple, lots of sour plums, rock sugar and bottles of fine quality Cantonese rice wine. Just keep them in cool rack for at least 3 months. I would finish one or two jars after 3 months and save the rest for next summer.
Thus there would be plenty of plums left and they are too bitter to eat. Cantonese would not waste any food but create recipes. Such plums can be braised or steamed with fat meat, such as pork, chicken, duck and goose. I usually steamed pork ribs with it. But in order to use more plums, my family would make braised goose or duck. A big whole duck or goose can feed a big family and the sourness and sweetness of the plums could reduce the greasiness of such fat meat. These are my favourite summer dishes.
Look for Japanese plum wine or Chinese plum wine in Asian grocery stores or you could make some by yourself.
Read my other recipe with sour plum – Steamed Pork Ribs with Sour Plum
Ingredients – (for two serving)
- Duck, medium size, half, head, neck, tail removed, about 800g left, chopped into big chunks (may ask butcher for help)
- Sour plum, 8
- Light soy sauce, 1/2 cup
- Plum wine, 1/2 cup
- Ginger, 50g, peeled and sliced
- Thai red chili, 5, optional
- Sugar and salt
How to do –
1. Sour plums are very soft after soaking in wine for quite a long time so it’s easy to be cored and finely chopped;
2. Heat 1tbsp of oil in hot wok, in medium high heat, pan-fried the duck meat, skin side down, till golden, then flip to the other side, also pan-fried till golden;
3. Put in ginger and chili, stir-fried till fragrant; then put in the plum, also stir-fried till fragrant;
4. Add in 3 cups of water, 1/2 cup of light soy sauce, and 1/2 cup of plum wine. Lid on and bring to boil, then simmer for half an hour in medium heat. Have a taste and you may adjust with a little sugar or salt, the sauce should be a little sweet and sour. Then simmer for 10-30 minutes till duck meat is tender; Reduce the sauce in high heat but make sure you save some sauce, it’s tasty to have with steamed rice;
5. Better serve with a heated small pot and a glass of plum wine on the rocks.
- 米鸭 中型大小半只，2人份
- 泡过酒的酸梅 8颗
- 生抽 半量杯
- 梅子酒 半量杯
- 嫩姜 50克
- 泰椒 5颗
- 糖、盐 适量
One thought on "夏天的鴨肉料理-梅子鴨 : Summer Sour Plum Duck"