Mango and Snow Fungus Pudding
Summer comes a bit earlier than usual this year. It’s been steamily hot since May. In summertime, I always keep some seasonal desserts in fridge for afternoon tea or late night treat, such as sweet bean soup or fruit pudding. Mango is particularly lovely in summer, juicy, firm and sweet, though it sometimes causes a little mess when having it. Thus I like to make fruit pudding with it. Usually I would like to add some cooked sago in the pudding for a chewy texture. This time I used a quarter of a snow fungus I prepared for dinner. It was way too huge after softening in water.
Chinese like to make sweet soup dessert with snow fungus. Sometimes I would make it savoury, such as soup or to steam with chicken. Chinese consider it healthy food for it contains dietary fibers that helps to lower cholesterol in the foods that we eat and also control the sugar absorption. At the same time the high concentration of vitamin D in snow fungus will help your body replenish the calcium that we lose on a daily basis.
Read more of my snow fungus dessert recipes
Autumn Tong-sui, snow fungus, pear and sea coconut Cantonese sweet soup
White Fungus and Purple Sweet Potato Sweet Soup
How to do –
1. Snow fungus soaked in water for half a day till it’s soft enough to be torn apart. Cut off the yellow root part and take 1/3 of it, chopped into small pieces;
2. Soaked the agar in water for 1 or 2 minutes. It would be cooked with the snow fungus later. Usually the proportion of agar and water is 1g with 70 to 100ml of liquid;
3. In a small soup pot, put in the snow fungus and agar, together with 600ml of water. Lid on and bring to boil, then simmer in low heat till the fungus turns soft and silky, agar melts. It might take half to one hour simmering. There would be about 500ml liquid left in the pot, if not, add a little more drinking water to adjust; sweeten the soup with 40g of sugar, simmer till melted; squeeze in the juice of half lemon at last, have a taste and adjust; set aside;
4. Mango peeled and cored, and blend. I then have 300ml of mango puree using 1 and a half mango. Save some cubes for garnishing;
5. Mix the snow fungus soup with the mango puree and pour in container, glasses are suitable. Cool and set in fridge.
- 芒果 2个
- 雪耳 1/3个
- 大菜丝 7克
- 冰糖 40克
- 柠檬 半个