Pot Garlic Rice
Together with the beetroot miso soup (see my previous post), I made steamed rice with my cast iron pot, a simple recipe with only garlic, bacon and some green peas. I love garlic so much. It’s one of my favourite seasoning ingredients in many of my recipes. Garlic is an immune system booster and is getting much popular recently due to the spreading of COVID-19. In this recipe, I would use a whole garlic. Cooked garlic is starchy, sweet and fragrant.
You could use electric rice cooker to make steamed rice. But I like to cook with my cast iron, it produces perfect golden rice crust. Read more about how to make perfect rice on How to cook steamed rice with cast iron pot.
- Bacon, 150g
- Garlic, 1, about 60g
- Rice, any type, 340g, for 3 serving
- Water, 450ml
- Frozen green peas, 1/2cup
How to do –
1. Garlic peeled, keep whole clove or sliced;
2. Bacon roughly chopped;
3. Heat 1tbsp of oil on hot casserole, lower to medium heat, stir-fry the bacon till golden, removed from the pot;
4. Put in the garlic and stir-fry till golden and fragrant;
5. Rice washed, I use Chinese short grain, put in the casserole, mix with the garlic; Pour in 450ml of water, bring to boil in high heat, then lid on, in low heat, cook for 10 minutes. certain types of rice might absorb more water than others, it really depends. Usually for this amount of rice, 400ml to 450ml of water should be fine;
6. Rice should be set now then put in the bacon and peas. Lid on and simmer for 15 more minutes. Turn off the heat but make sure you let it rest for at least 10 minutes; then you could mix them well, have a taste, season with a nip of salt and pepper or light soy sauce.