Though not a Japanese, for sure I have known teriyaki is not a dish but a very common Japanese cooking technique, which foods are marinated, pan-fried or grilled with the mixture of soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. Teriyaki chicken is most commonly seen. Besides, pork chop, fish, squid, eggplant and many other ingredients can be teriyaki-ed.
Cooking tips –
1. People have their preference of teriyaki sauce. I like to add plenty of grated onion in the sauce mixture. With onion, meat will turn tenderer when marinating. And onion is a good substitute of sugar. Sometimes if I have Asian pear home, I’d like to add a quarter of grated pear. It is a natural sweetener in many Asian cuisines, Korean use it quite often;
2. Some don’t like marinating the meat before cooking but I do, this is pretty much up to you;
3. Pan-fry and grill are the two commonly used cooking methods of teriyaki;
4. Japanese soy sauce, mirin and sake are three key cooking ingredients of Japanese cuisine. If you make Asian cuisine often, why not keep a bottle of each home? No need to purchase the expensive sake;
5. This recipe is the most typical Teriyaki dish, Teriyaki Chicken. If you are vegetarian, with the same recipe of the sauce, you could make tofu, mushroom, eggplant.