Beef Chow Fun with Black Bean Sauce
It’s particularly hot in mid-summertime evening and I don’t have much appetite for proper rice meal sometimes. So I would make rice congee, usually with stir-fried noodle. Beef Chow Fun is the one of those I make frequently.
Chow Fun is Cantonese pronunciation of ‘stir-fried rice noodle’. We use wide flat rice noodles in this classic Cantonese stir-fry dish. Oyster sauce is one of the stable seasoning sauces, the other one is fermented black soybeans. In this recipe, I would use both. The key cooking technique of this dish is to stir-fry in high heat quickly, done within minutes.
Wide flat rice noodle / hor-fun, 600g, 2-3 serving. Hor-fun might stick together, gently tear them apart;
Sliced beef, 250g;
White onion, half;
Green chili pepper, 2;
Red chili pepper, 1;
Garlic, 2 cloves;
fermented black soybeans, 1tbsp;
Light soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch.
How to do –
1. Garlic sliced, chili peppers sliced, onion sliced;
2. Prepare the seasoning. 2tbsp of oyster sauce, 1tbsp of light soy sauce, 1tsp of cornstarch, half tsp of sugar, half tsp of salt, half cup of water, mix well;
3. I use sliced beef with fat so no need to marinate them before cooking. 1tbsp of oil in hot wok, put in the beef and sear them in high heat till golden and fat released, remove from the wok;
4. Put in all vegetables and stir-fry in high heat for about 10 seconds till the vegetables are half-cooked but still crunchy, also remove from the wok;
5. Add a little oil in wok, stir-fry the fermented black soybeans till fragrant in medium high heat;
6. Put in the hor-fun, flip and stir-fry till turn light golden. Sprinkle a few tbsp of water so that hor-fun wouldn’t stick together. Also stir-fry with long chopsticks. Stir-fry for about 1 minute;
7. Beef and vegetables in the wok, flip and stir well;
8. Cornstarch would sink so mix again before pour in the sauce mixture. In high heat, flip and stir-fry till the sauce coated equally.