Marbled Sweet Dumplings with Sesame Seed Stuffing
Usually my family would have sweet dumplings / Tangyuan in the morning of 7th and 15th of January in Lunar Calendrer. Chinese consider 15th of January the end of Chinese New Year holiday. Like dumpling, sweet dumpling is also a symbol of family union. Unlike people from northern part of China, Cantonese don’t eat dumpling in new year. We don’t have a custom of having dumpling. But sweet dumpling is.
Red bean paste and sesame seed paste are two common dumpling stuffings. The sesame seed one is much easier than the red bean one. And I would make the sweet dumplings prettier this year.
Black and white sesame seeds, 100g;
Glutinous rice flour, 2 cups;
Hot water, 1 cup;
Cocoa powder, 2tbsp;
Candied osmanthus, for garnishing, optional.
How to do –
1. Toast the sesame seeds in non-stick pan without adding any oil. Keep medium heat and keep stirring, otherwise the sesame would get burnt easily. Adding a little white sesame seeds can make you easier to judge if the black sesame seeds are toasted or not. Just toast them till they turn golden. Or you could use white sesame seeds only;
2. Powder the sesame seeds with food processer and put in a big mixing bowl;
3. Put in butter and sugar and mix well. You could melt the butter beforehand but my sesame seeds are hot enough to melt the butter. Traditionally lard is used but it’s quite difficult to obtain good lard so using butter is no wrong. You could have a taste but 40g of sugar is sweet enough for me;
4. The stuffing mixture in this stage might be a bit too soft to roll in balls. You could put it in fridge and let it set, 5 to 10 minutes should be good enough;
5. Now you could roll the mixture into 10g balls. Keep in fridge and let them set. You would find a lot easier to make sweet dumplings in this way;
6. When the stuffing is safe in fridge, let’s prepare the wrap. In two big mixing bowl, put in 1 cup of glutinous rice flour equally in each one, one with 2tbsp of cocoa powder;
7. Then gradually add in hot water, about half cup for each bowl. Mix while add water till flaky;
8. Knead the dough till smooth. If you are not using the dough right away, cover it with wet cloth. Glutinous rice flour would easily get dry;
9. Combine the two doughs casually;
10. And lengthen it;
11. Cut into small doughs, 20g to 25g each would be nice. Roll them into balls;
12. Now the stuffing has set. Flat the dough and wrap the stuffing in;
13. If you can’t finish the dumplings in one go, dust some rice flour on and keep in freezer;
14. Plenty of water in a pot, bring to boil and put in the dumplings. Lid on and cook in high heat till the dumplings float. If your dumplings are too big and you worry they are not cooked. Add in a little cold water and bring to boil again;
15. Garnish with candied osmanthus. There’s no necessary anyway;
15. The stuffing is not runny. If you want runny stuffing, add more butter, 80g would be good enough. But the more butter, the more easily the dumplings would break. Don’t worry, make the wrap a little thicker, 30g each should do the job.