Choy Sum and Tofu Salad in Sesame Dressing (CNY2019)
Choy Sum is Cantonese’ favourite vegetable. Every time when I don’t know what to have for everyday vegetable, I would buy Choy Sum. Thanks to modern agriculture, they are in the market all the year round. But they are particularly sweet when it’s cold, because Choy Sum is actually a winter vegetable.
Usually fried Choy Sum with garlic or ginger would be nice enough but it’s Chinese New Year, I would make it a little different, a little fusion, yet delicious and quick. In this recipe, other vegetables are also suitable, such as spinach.
Choy Sum, 400g;
Very firm tofu, 1, about 350g;
Roasted sesame dressing, 3tbsp;
Olive oil, 2tbsp;
Light soy sauce, 1tbsp;
Black pepper, a pinch.
How to do –
1. I choose very firm tofu, sliced into about half centimeter thick. In a flat bottom pan, pan-fry double sides till golden;
2. Choy Sum washed and tore into mouth size. Boil plenty of water in a big pot, put in 1tbsp of salt. When the water is boiling, put in the Choy Sum and poach till the water is boiling again. Drain and set aside for a while, let them cool down a little bit. Then squeeze out some vegetable juice;
3. Roast some walnut in a small pan in medium heat till golden;
4. In a small bowl, put in sesame dressing, olive oil, soy sauce, sugar and black pepper, mix well;
5. In a big mixing bowl, put in the Choy Sum, tofu and dressing, flip and mix well;
6. Put in serving plate and sprinkle walnut chips on top. Serve right away.