Braised King Prawn with Spring Onion and Ginger (CNY2019)
In a balanced feast, there must be meats, fishery products and vegetables. For Chinese New Year, I would prepare some good seafood for my family. The king prawns in this recipe are in top quality, fresh and in huge size, more than 50g each. When you have good food ingredients, simple cooking method would be adequate. To fry with lots of ginger and spring onion is the simplest way Cantonese prefer.
This recipe is quick and easy, not many ingredients and tricky cooking techniques needed. And because it’s wintertime, I would cook and serve with cast iron pot.
King prawn, 8, about 50g each;
Spring onion, 50g;
Garlic, 4 cloves;
Baby Chinese cabbage, 100g;
Rice vermicelli, a small handful;
Light soy sauce, 1/2cup;
Chinese cooking wine, 1/2cup;
How to do –
1. Wash the prawns. Cut the shell from their back with a scissor and remove the guts. Don’t remove the shell. Well if you want you can. But I believe shrimp with shell, fish with bone, meat with bone are more delicious than those without;
2. Soak the rice vermicelli in water till they are soft;
3. Ginger, garlic, baby cabbage sliced;
4. Prepare the seasoning sauce. Mix half cup of light soy sauce and cooking wine, with 3tbsp of sugar;
5. Now everything is ready. Let’s start cooking. It would be very quick. Heat 3tbsp of oil in an iron pot or a clay pot in high heat, put in garlic and ginger and fry till fragrant. Then put in spring onion and also fry till fragrant;
6. Layer the cabbage and rice vermicelli at the bottom and put the shrimps on top;
7. Pour in the seasoning mixture and lid on and let it cook in high heat for five minutes. Lid off and gently stir, reduce a little sauce if needed;
8. Serve right away. The rice vermicelli would absorb the lovely juice from the shrimp and everyone would craze for it.