Japanese Glutinous Rice Ball in Sweet Soy Sauce / Mitarashi Dango
Japan is a popular travelling destination for many of us and friends and families have given me Japanese sweets and snacks. Among all, Mitarashi Dango, 御手洗団子, rice ball in sweet soy sauce, is one of my favourite. This recipe is very simple though I am uncertain if my recipe is authentic or not. Anyway, the rice balls are very chewy and tasty.
- Ingredients –
Glutinous rice flour, 1 cup;
Brown sugar, 3tbsp;
Japanese soy sauce, 2tsp. If you don’t have Japanese soy sauce, I would suggest 1tsp of light soy sauce and 1tsp of dark soy sauce;
Water, both warm and cold;
How to do –
1. In a big mixing bowl, add in 1 cup of glutinous rice flour and half cup of warm water. Mix with a mixing spoon till lumpy;
2. Combine the lumps together and knead the dough till it’s smooth and not stick to your hand. Add a little water if it’s too dry or add a little more flour if it’s too watery;
3. Cut the dough into chunks in equal quantity. This dough can be made into 8 balls, about 25g each;
4. Roll the small doughs into balls and press them down a little in the middle so that they can hold more sauce later;
5. In a big pot, add in plenty of water and bring to boil. Add the rice balls in and poach them till they float on top, then pour in 1 more cup of cold water, lid on then bring to boil again, to make sure riceballs are cooked thoroughly. Drain and immediately keep them in icy water;
6. In a small saucing pot, add in 2tsp of Japanese soy sauce, 3tbsp of brown sugar, 1tbsp of cornstarch and 1 cup of water, mix well and bring to boil slowly in medium heat. Keep stirring to prevent any lumps;
7. Skewer 3 or 4 balls together; Spread the sauce on the balls and tuck in!
One thought on "日式醬油糰子/御手洗団子 : Japanese Glutinous Rice Ball in Sweet Soy Sauce / Mitarashi Dango"