Different people have different version of Sticky Chicken. Mine is a little bit more Chinese way. This is one of those typical foods that I would make a lot and put in fridge for my pal when I was away for a few days so that he wouldn’t eat out or take away too often. And it is also a good lunchbox sidedish option.
Chicken thigh or chicken wing.
Marinating and seasoning ingredients –
garlic, ginger, some dry red chili depends on how spiciness you prefer, light soy sauce, a little dark soy sauce for the deep charcoal colour, aged vinegar for reducing the fatness of the meat and tenderizing the meat, brown sugar, Shaoxing wine.
How to do –
1. Mix all seasoning ingredients with the chicken, give them a massage. Then leave them to marinate for at least an hour, put in fridge overnight is even better;
2. Oil in hot pan, pan-fry the chicken double-sided till turn golden. Because they have been seasoned, they can be easily burnt, make sure you keep an eye;
3. Add the leftover seasoning mixture to the chicken. Add water till the chicken can be half-covered. Simmer for about half an hour in medium low heat. Unlike other meats, chicken can be easily tenderized;
4. Reduce the sauce in high heat till all chicken are coated with the sticky sauce. Sugar can help to thicken the sauce quickly. Have a taste of the sauce for the taste up to your preference;
5. Sprinkle some chopped spring onion and toasted sesame seed on top then serve.